CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Family

No school today! It is 10:00am and I am still in my pj's, drinking my second cup of coffee, at the computer. (sigh....) I decided to post about my week last week. It was a hard week. For reasons that we still do not know, my Uncle Wilson chose to take his own life on Tuesday. He is my dad's oldest brother. Uncle Wilson has always been a part of my life, even though I did not see him very often. As the priest said at his service, he was a very "quirky" man. He was also very loveable. The blessing of all of this is the sweet time we spent with family on Friday.
Now it feels kind of funny to hear myself say this. You see, I have not always enjoyed going to family reunions of any kind. I have always been annoyed by all of these strange people, talking all at once, about all the things they did when they were little. We as the little children are supposed to laugh merrily and pretend to know exactly what they were talking about. Well, the tide has changed. I caught myself, being a strange person, talking at the same time to everyone, about all the things we did when we were little. No matter how different we all are (and seriously, there are several who are REALLY DIFFERENT, think Christmas Vacation)we are FAMILY. And that is precious. We left Friday afternoon, all with a strong resolve to get together this summer when Cheryl and her family are in the states.
On a less serious note, we were all standing around at the cemetary and decided to take pictures. This was the first time that we have seen one of my uncles and his family since my Grandpa passed away in '95. We all gathered around and took pictures and did not think anything of it. Yesterday, my dad posted this pictures on his blog. What we did not realize is that my Uncle Wilson's casket is in the background of all of the pictures. Ahhhh...family:-)

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh, I am so sorry for the loss in your family, especially in such a painful and confusing way. I saw the pictures on your dad's blog, but didn't realize the story. Blessings on you guys!

SS said...

Wow, that's a lot to take in; I'm really sorry. However, I understand what you mean about the "family bonding". I'm glad that you were given that opportunity and that you took advantage of the time you were given. On a lighter note, we could probably have quite a competition on who's family is more Christmas Vacation like. I'm pretty sure that Eddie and Katherine are distant cousins of my moms!

Larissa said...

I'm so sorry! I know that post wasn't intended to be funny, but your spin on it kind of made it that way...I guess family is always good at doing that though! I hope y'all are all okay!

Nicole said...

I am so sorry about your Uncle Wilson. That must be so hard and there must be so many questions with no answers. I am glad that you have had a reflection moment of realizing that we all grow up and turn into the people that bugged us as youngsters. I think every family is that way to a degree. I know mine is. I hope peace finds you through this hard time!! I love you!!

Enjoy your day off. We are out here also and I am enjoying myself too!! Yeah for free days! :)

SS said...

Thank you soooo much for acknowledging my Hillary sign. You are the only person who has had any sort of comment and it's been up for over a week. I'm so proud of it. You are truly a woman of my own heart.

my3texasboys said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle.

Happy Mama said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. I think it is great that you are taking what you can out of a bad situation and realizing that we all have FAMILY...I can tell I am getting older because I used to think I was the only one with strange relatives, but no- everyone's got them and I always laugh because I'm sure they think they are the "normal" ones too! :) God bless your family~

SS said...

One more comment and I'll leave you alone. This is random, but driving me crazy. What was the girls name in your wedding; bridesmaid, brown hair, didn't go to LCU.

Cheryl said...

I can't begin to put into words how hard is to be away from you all right now.
Uncle Wilson's passing breaks my heart.
I love you.

Robyn said...

Prayers and love.

Mommysmart said...

Hello Cherise!

I can't even believe how I found you. My good friend Trey Morgan has a blog and I followed Larissa to her blog and then saw a Cherise in her sidebar and Holy Moly it is you!

To make the story even more strange I had seen your email address in the LCU alumni magazine (just three days ago) with your kids names. We also have a 4 year old whose name was going to be Cason until we changed our minds last minute and named him Rylan. I had decided to shoot you an email explaining the craziness, but got busy and forgot. Then today I found you again by complete accident.

When you get some time shoot me an email. monicajsmart@gmail.com

I would love to hear all about your family.

Love,
Monica Pierce Smart

P.S. You are beautiful as a blonde!